This is Josh’s 2012 Tacoma solid axle swap build with a 3 linked Dana 44.
So my Tacoma is my daily driver/go where ever the hell I want to go truck. The truck is a 2012 access cab 6 speed manual. I did as much of this as I was able to in my garage, ie. winch, bumper, leaf springs, shocks, all the little stuff.
Now the front end and the transfer case and what not, well that’s a bit above my skill level and I don’t have the resources to tackle a project like that – so all of that work was done by Tanner 4×4, a local off-road shop here in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Also had quite a bit of front end work done by Dynamic down in Lufkin, Texas.
When I bought this truck back in January of 2017 it had a Fabtech 6 inch lift on it and it actually wheeled pretty alright. At the time I figured I could just go ahead and bomb proof the lift that was on it. I started the whole “bomb proofing” thing and it was getting stupid pricey, so I just said screw it and SAS’d it.
For the 10 million people out there that are going to ask about tons and 40s. That’s not what I wanted. Will I someday? Probably not. And even if I do decide to go that route someday with this truck, then whatever, I’ll put tons under it. Done with that subject.
So here is most of what all has been done, in no particular order…..
- HP Dana 44 From A 1979 F-250.
- Fox Racing Shox 2.5 Series Coilovers With Remote Reservoir 16 Inch Stroke.
- RCV Axles.
- Yukon 4.88 gears.
- Eaton E-Locker In The Front.
- Trail-Gear Verso Dual Cases.
- US Off Road Front Bumper. – I went with this particular bumper, instead of something bigger/more protective because if I make my truck and longer it won’t fit in my garage with the door down. With that being said, I really like the way the front end on these trucks look from the factory and the US Off Road bumper is a solid, well built bumper. (Link)
- Engo SR12S Winch.
- Goodyear MT/r Kevlar 35×12.50 r17.
- 17 Inch Steel Rock Crawlers.
- RCI Gas Tank Skid.
- Alcan 6 Inch +200lbs Leaf Springs. – I had put these on when I was attempting to bomb proof that Fabtech 6 inch lift and I fell in love with them. So they are staying.
- Bilstein 12 Inch Stroke, Stem To Eye 5125s in the back.
- Stainless Brake Lines All Around.
- Lots Of Little Random Stuff. – Ie. diff breather, lights in the bed, a couple extra bed tie downs, CB, U-bolt Flip, yadda yadda…..