Clayton has built a monster of a Toyota Tacoma with the solid axle swap using a HP Dana 44 up front and a 14 Bolt in the rear. Ladies and gentlemen meet BADTACO.
After buying my Tacoma I was determined to wheel it like all my other Toyotas. Go out and run it anywhere I wanted. It wasn’t the cleanest rig by any means, but it could’ve been beaten on worse. The previous owners kid drove it and maintenance was not anything they did.
First go after the 6 hour drive home was all the front joints. About 500$ worth of parts and a weekend in the shop cussing at everything I found wrong. Then I took it in for alignment and tires, not new of course just good used ones.
After numerous times getting stuck and not being able to keep up with my friends, I was feeling very let down by Toyota. It almost felt as they built a city boy pickup for mall crawling. To add on to this frustration after 6 months my tires were wearing badly.
Another trip to the hoist and everything was bad this time. This didn’t just stop at the a arm bushing. The front carrier wasn’t properly serviced so the gears were bad and the axle bushings were worn out and it started eating the aluminum.
After some research to get what I wanted, it was going to cost about 4k. I looked at that as the same price for the big job of the SAS.
Following RST SAS build of his own Tacoma, with a lot less craftsmanship and tooling, I came out with a mess of links and joint and coilovers.
This was super flexy but didn’t last long. After running into issues with cheap parts I changed from the coilovers to early Ford Bronco coils and Nitro shocks. Handling improved greatly with this setup. Enough that I took my 500$ Anti-Rock swaybar off.
With the front being built it led me onto other projects. Doing the dual cases I knew I couldn’t follow in the line of any other build. I ended up with an adapter for a Toyota gear box to a Dana 300 for 200$. Coincidentally that is the same spline count and 6 bolt round as a Chevy 241, which is driver side drop in the IFS rigs. So to stay away from having the same stuff I bought the 6 speed adapter and stuffed it all in.
That left one last part that I was looking to upgrade. The rear axle. This was always on the back burner for the pickup as I thought the elocker rear would be plenty strong. 3 hours after getting the doubler in it decided to tear itself apart.
So the next build was the 14 bolt. It is out of a 1991 one ton Chevy swr. To save time and to keep from cursing like a sailor I bought a 6 lug conversion hub from Ruff Stuff. This is all disc brake converted and with the rear axle I deleted the ABS system.
So after that long story on what I started with and some problems along the way this is what I ended up with and a small parts list.
2007 Toyota Tacoma DCSB with a HP Dana 44 Ford front axle, Chevy flat top outers, high steer, RCV shafts, Yukon Zip Lock, 5.13 Revolution gears, custom 3 link, BTF diff cover, and a Toyota IFS steering box.
The rear is a 14 bolt disc converted, 6 lug converted, ARB, Ruff Stuff diff cover, pinion guard, and 5.13 Nitro gears.
The transfer case setup is an Inchworm adapter to a gear drive range box from a mid 80s Toyota, OTT adapter to the 241c full case. Final ratio is 132:1.